Centrihome.com is fully supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on our website, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more

What Happens if you Accidentally Drink Moldy Water?

We all know just how dangerous mold is to our health. But what happens if you accidentally take a few sips of moldy water? Well, in some cases, a few sips will not do any harm however, if large quantities are drunk, the risk of experiencing digestive health issues is there. Some of the digestive health issues you are likely to experience if you partake in moldy water include:

  • Nausea
  • Diarrhea
  • Stomach upsets
  • Vomiting

There is also a significant risk of respiratory ailments associated with consuming moldy liquids. Some of those include asthma, lung disease, COPD – and in worse-off scenarios, immune suppression.

So, never ever drink moldy water. Always inspect your bottles before drinking from them to prevent the risk of developing serious health complications.

But what really happens when you drink moldy water? Let’s break down the details for you.

If You Drink Moldy Water This Is What Will Happen

Mold is a dangerous type of fungus that grows mostly on moist surfaces. While it is easily visible on walls or foodstuff, it might not be easy to spot on enclosed water containers. This explains why the risk of drinking water with mold is quite high.

Water that has mold growing on it is contaminated with bacteria and could be detrimental to your general well-being. This stems from the fact that the bacteria associated with mold can trigger foodborne symptoms and illnesses.

Normally, the severity of the symptoms entirely depends on the type of bacteria and the quantities present in the water. Extremely high quantities of mold in the water you drink can even lead to respiratory ailments such as asthma.

What To Do If You Find Mold in Your Water

If you ever find mold or detect a mold-like smell in your water, you should immediately discard it. Unlike with foods like cheese where you only need to cut the affected portion, the whole container of moldy water should be discarded completely. There are no two or three ways about it.

In other words, avoidance is your best weapon against the harmful effects that come with drinking contaminated water. If you can spot the mold before you drink it, it’s advisable to avoid it altogether.

Also, it is extremely important to ensure that all your sources of water or storage containers are clean and hygienic. Bottles should be cleaned thoroughly and left to dry completely before being kept in storage. Also, you should avoid leaving water in bottles for a long time as that can give mold an opportunity to grow.

So, What If You Drink Moldy Water?

If you realize that you have already drunk moldy water, the best course of action is to seek medical attention as soon as possible. This is due to the fact that some molds produce toxic chemicals commonly known as mycotoxins. These can cause a variety of symptoms ranging from mild ones to life-threatening ones.

Remember, besides being exposed to toxins through ingestion, people also get exposed to mold through inhalation or skin contact. Yup, you read that right. Mycotoxins are invisible to the human eye and can survive in all manner of conditions. Therefore, they are more widespread than your naked eye can tell.

Consuming water that has mold in it could leave you exposed to all manner of respiratory allergies. Generally, people respond differently to mold ingestion and as such, it is always advisable to talk to a medical expert for a customized treatment plan. There is nothing like a one-size-fits-all answer to the question of what to do in case you have accidentally drunk moldy water.

How To Detect Mold in Water

The best way to avoid moldy water is by being able to detect it in the first place. The following are the tell-tale signs of water that has significant quantities of mold in it.

Musty Smell

Clean water should be clear and free from smells. Therefore, if you spot a few weird dark spots in it and a musty smell to boot, chances are that it is moldy.

If it is tap water you are dealing with, you are better off leaving the water to run for a few minutes until the musty smell subsides. However, if the smell persists even after running the tap for some time, the amount of mold in your home’s reservoir or plumbing systems is significant.

Slimy Goo in Your Plumbing System

Slimy goo or simply biofilm is a layer that forms in moist areas of your plumbing system. It may look harmless but is actually composed of dangerous bacteria that can have a huge effect on your overall well-being.

If your plumbing system or water storage equipment has this weird-looking film, chances are that it is contaminated with mold and you should, therefore, avoid it.

Your Hair Smells Moldy

This is a rudimentary way to detect mold in your water sources. Generally, if your hair has been smelling moldy of late, chances are that the smell is coming from the moldy water in your home’s system. So, if you have sniffed your hair after a bath and noticed an unusual moldy smell, there is a high probability that you’re dealing with mold water.

Someone In Your Family Just Got Diagnosed with Penicillium Infection

As we have already mentioned, drinking moldy water can trigger all kinds of health problems in the body. As such, if you (or a family member) have been diagnosed with penicillium, there could be significant quantities in your water.

Getting Rid of Mold in Water

In order to keep your water clean and mold-free, it is recommended to ensure regular maintenance of your plumbing system is done. Ask a local plumber to conduct regular checks and carry out maintenance as necessary.

If you tend to store your drinking water in bottles, always make sure they are thoroughly cleaned. You can use hot water, baking soda, or dish soap for this.

Last but not least, avoid having water standing near or inside your house. Clear stagnant water immediately to prevent it from providing a breeding ground for mold and other pathogens.