Centrihome.com is fully supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on our website, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more

Can You Mix Bleach with Mr Clean? Here Are the Facts

We’ve all been told countless times that we’re supposed to keep our homes neat and tidy. In a bid to do so, you might want to experiment with something much more powerful than the average cleaning detergent available out there. 

In particular, you might be wondering whether you can mix bleach and Mr. Clean as these two are readily available and equally known for their effectiveness. But is combining them a good idea?

Well, it is never a good idea to combine Mr Clean with bleach. You should never mix the two because they can react and end up creating heat and fumes thereby exposing you to unexpected danger.

Let’s break down the details for you.

Can You Mix Bleach and Mr. Clean?

On paper, combining the two detergents might seem like a good idea after all, it makes it possible to tap into their potent effects by creating a 2-in-1 combo. In reality, however, mixing Mr. Clean with bleach can be a recipe for disaster.

Why so? You might be wondering. Well, bleach contains a substance called sodium hypochlorite as an active ingredient. Though chemically stable, sodium hypochlorite may react violently and explosively when exposed to alcohols, glycols, and ammonium-based detergents.

Luckily, Mr. Clean doesn’t have any of those. What it has, though, is called Sodium Hydroxide which when combined with bleach creates an exothermic reaction. Exothermic reactions are characterized by the production of excess heat. In extreme cases, such reactions can produce dangerous levels of heat often accompanied by toxic fumes.

In the course of the reaction, the solution may splatter and splash thereby causing a mess.

In most cases the reaction is slow and it can end up creating chlorine gas which can be hazardous if left to accumulate especially in enclosed settings. The toxic gas can lead to a wide variety of complications including skin burns and poor respiratory health.

Is It Safe to Mix Bleach with Any Other Floor Cleaner?

The short answer is NO. Better safe than sorry. Most floor cleaners contain chemicals that can cause bleach to react violently and cause direct harm to you or your household.

Many affordable floor cleaners out there contain ammonia (or ammonia compounds such as amines). Ammonia and sodium hypochlorite (bleach) can react to produce a dangerous vapor called chloramine.

On the other hand, if you happen to mix bleach with a cleaner that contains vinegar you can end up with peracetic acid which is highly irritating to the eyes and the respiratory tract.

As harmless as household cleaners may look, mixing them without knowing how exactly they react with each other can lead to dangerous outcomes. So, no matter what, never mix bleach with any other floor cleaner just to be on the safe side.

What Solution Can Be Safely Mixed with Bleach at Home?

So, what can you safely mix with bleach at home? Well, bleach seems to mix well with pH-neutral solutions that are free from ammonium or acidic properties. As long as the neutral solution has stable dipoles then it can be mixed with bleach without any major issues.

When talking about pH neutrality, water comes to mind. And indeed, water is the safest solution at home that you can mix with bleach without any risks.

Some powdered laundry detergents also meet this criterion. We’re talking about the like of Comet and Tide both of which can be safely mixed with bleach and used to clean dirty floors. But just like any other thing in life, moderation should always be exercised even when mixing powder detergents with bleach.

If you are not exactly sure how to mix anything with bleach don’t resort to guesswork. Always check the manufacturer’s label for further information.

Does Mr. Clean Floor Cleaner Have Bleach?

According to the instructions on the product’s label, the product contains no chlorine. As bleach is a natural component of bleach, it is safe to say that none of it is found in Mr. Clean. Had it been a part of this cleaning compound, chances are that it would have been listed as one of its active ingredients – but so far that is not the case.

Sodium hydroxide (NaOH) is the active ingredient in Mr. Clean. The compound is widely reputed for its ability to dissolve protein-based deposits, fats, and grease – a feat that makes it a highly effective cleaning agent for home and industrial use.

The fact that it lacks chlorine means that Mr. Clean floor cleaner is better off used for removing grease and oils. It might not be the best choice for sanitizing and disinfecting surfaces – a job that’s better left to solutions with bleach.

Is It Okay to Add Bleach to A Multi-purpose Cleaner?

Most multi-purpose cleaners are either ammonic or acidic in nature. This is because they are designed to kill germs and clear stains. Unfortunately, acidic and ammonic solutions do react with bleach effectively causing the production of toxic gases.

Therefore, you should avoid mixing bleach with any multipurpose cleaner no matter how gentle it seems to be.

What To Do If You Accidentally Mix Bleach with Ammonia or Acidic Solutions

If you have erroneously mixed bleach with products that contain ammonia or are high in acid content, you need to act fast. The reaction can start producing fumes in minutes.

Open all the windows in your home and immediately move to a well-ventilated area – preferably outside the house. If you’re experiencing difficulties breathing, call 911.

Not experiencing breathing difficulties? Call your local poison control center immediately. They will be able to advise you on how to handle the situation without exposing yourself to further danger.

How Long Should You Wait Before Entering Your Home After Accidentally Mixing Bleach with Ammonia or Chlorine?

How long you take to re-enter the house after mixing bleach with ammonia or chlorine depends on a number of factors among them temperature, ventilation, and the concentration levels of the substances involved.

As a general rule, it is always a good idea to wait several hours for the chemical reaction to completely stop and for the toxic gases to fully disperse before re-entering the house. As some toxic gases can still linger for several days, it is always important to contact your local poison control center so that an expert can guide you accordingly.